Combat winter’s chill with a hearty pasta…
Morgan joined Pillow Talk four years ago as a retail assistant, and she’s now a talented graphic designer and photographer in our art department. This week, Morgan is sharing her family’s favourite pasta recipe – it’s low fuss, and big on flavour. We recommend sharing this meal with your family and friends, because there’s nothing better than eating good food with the ones you love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated
- 250g bacon, diced
- 500g lean beef mince
- Fresh or dried rosemary and thyme (we prefer fresh from our herb garden!)
- 500g penne or spaghetti
- Large bunch of vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 small tubs of tomato paste
- Fresh basil chopped and whole (to garnish)
- Parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, herbs and bacon, stirring for 2 minutes. Cook until onions are softened and the bacon is beginning to crisp.
- Add mince to the pan – don’t forget to break up the mince with the back of your spoon! Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Once the mince has browned, add your tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, and add a teaspoon of sugar. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cover. Let your sauce simmer away for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s nice and rich.
- While your sauce is reducing, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and add your penne or spaghetti, cooking until tender. Drain.
- Divide your pasta into equal portions in serving bowls, adding your sauce on top. Sprinkle fresh basil on top, and serve with shaved parmesan and crusty bread.
Enjoy! Stay tuned for more winter warmers and delicious recipes from our team. You can shop the look here.